Planning Applications

Planning Applications

The planning system has become increasingly more complex and is often a minefield for those who experience it for the first time. Even those who are familiar with planning often find that they need assistance and advice in certain areas due to the sheer size of the Town and Country Planning Act.

We are able to provide qualified, professional advice to any size of project and bring added value to your project. We have experience of dealing with all types planning applications and can help guide your project through the planning process to achieve the best outcome for you. Our experience ranges from dealing with major Developers and national house builders to members of the public who are having difficulties with planning matters.

We are also experienced at negotiating planning contributions whether this is by means of a Unilateral Undertaking or S.106 legal agreement.

 We are able to advise on the following types of application:


Most applications are full planning applications requiring you to submit all details of the proposal. It is appropriate if you have detailed information about your proposal or you wish to change the use of land or buildings.


Outline planning applications establish whether a development is acceptable in principle. It has the advantage that detailed drawings are not required although some Local Authorities to want more information than others such as a layout.

Once outline permission has been granted, details of the proposal must be approved. This is known as ‘Reserved Matters’ and must be done before work can start.

 Certificate of Lawful Use (Existing and Proposed)

A certificate of lawfulness for proposed or existing use is a statutory document confirming that the use, operation or activity named on it is lawful for planning control purposes on the date specified in the document. It enables the council, where sufficient evidence exists and all the conditions are satisfied, to grant a certificate in relation to:

  • An existing use of land, some operational development or an activity in breach of a planning condition which has become lawful or
  • A proposed use of land or buildings or some operational development to be carried out which would need to be lawful

Variation of Condition (Section 73)

Section 73 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended) allows an applicant to make an application to vary or remove a planning condition on an existing planning permission. If approved, this will result in the issue of a new permission and may result in different conditions being imposed.

Advertisement Consent

If you wish to display an advert you may well need advertisement consent for the following:

  • Posters and notices
  • Placards and boards
  • Fascia signs and projecting signs
  • Pole signs and canopy signs
  • Models and devices
  • Advance signs and directional signs
  • Estate agents’ boards
  • Captive balloon advertising (not balloons in flight)
  • Flag advertisements
  • Price markers and price displays
  • Traffic signs
  • Town and village name signs

You are unlikely to need consent for signs less than 0.3 metres squared on your house with a name or number on it. Temporary notices up to 0.6 metres squared relating to local events (fetes and concerts for example) can be displayed for short periods.

Works to Trees
You will need to submit a tree works application if you wish to carry out works on trees:

  • Protected by Tree Preservation Orders
  • Located in Conservation Areas
  • Protected by Planning Conditions

Got a question?


Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Message